The other day I trailed through town, checking every supermarket for filo pastry, which turned out to be much more of a mission than what I’d expected. Eventually the wonder that is Marks and Sparks had some and through fear of needing more in future I bought two packets.
After spending so long searching for the pastry I figured I best make something special with it and that evening we ate some very luxurious filo tarts for dessert. I love to be creative and I thought I would share my recipe with you.
Berries – I used strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries
1. Firstly I buttered the bottom of a muffin tray and layered the filo pastry over the mounds, buttering the layers of pastry together.
2. I then cooked them for about 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
3. Whilst they were cooking I put chopped berries in a pan with sugar and water and boiled until a syrup like consistency took form.
4. I then did the same with the chopped nectarine but with added cinnamon.
5. I then simply layered the filo baskets, firstly with the syrupy nectarines, then chopped banana, then the sweet juicy berries and then with a dollop of lemon sorbet.
6. To garnish I simply let icing sugar fall on the plate and did a loop of the left over nectarine and cinnamon syrup.
It was delicious and so easy to make. It’s also a great dessert if you have any fruit that needs using.
I haven’t put amounts on the ingredients as it really is all down to preference and just tasting as you go, which is always fun!
So, I hope you get a bit of inspiration and enjoy a yummy and simple dessert that still looks impressive.